- Basic concepts for database searching. Concepts and terminology useful in thinking about search engines. See also the larger glossary.
- Search operator comparison. A one page table comparing basic search operators in various search engines.
- Search tips, part 1. Elementary topics like metadata and controlled vocabulary; precision vs recall; how to find better search terms; how to retrieve more or less in a bibliographic database; how to group or combine terms.
- Search tips, part 2. More on searching a controlled vocabulary database. Single search and synonymy and polysemy. Undisclosed and unexpected automatic processing.
- Search tips, part 3. Searching natural language document sets. Relevance ranking. The future.
- Changes in LC subject headings. Including headings for God and the Bible.
- Assignments and drills. Exercises to help you develop better search skills. Includes some homework assignments for RS101, DM102, BS1004.
Copyright Dallas Theological Seminary, 1924-2016. All Rights Reserved.