Database Manuals and Tutorials
For exercises and homework assignments designed to help you develop search skills, see assignments.
Connecting to Databases
WorldCat (replaces BIBLOS)
We have just begun to write material about dts.on.worldcat.
- Your WorldCat Account. What you can do. How to login. Differences between DTS students, registered Community Users, and DTS grads.
- How to Create or Reset Your Password.
- How to Renew Your Loans.
- EBSCO YouTube micro-lessons. More than 50 brief videos on various EBSCO functions and features. Some sales/promotional material, too.
- Bare Bones Basics of Searching EBSCO databases . Introduction. Overview.
- How to use EBSCO ebooks.
- ATLA/ATLAS tips. Assumes you already know how to use EBSCO databases.
- Using SmartText. An EBSCO natural language query processor.
- Practice searching ATLA (displays questions in one frame, and allows live searches of ATLA in another frame; answers appear on demand).
- ATLA assignments to help you develop search skills
- OTA/NTA tips. Old Testament Abstracts and New Testament Abstracts. Assumes you already know how to use EBSCO databases.
- L’Année philologique. Tips specific to APh. Assumes you already know how to use EBSCO databases.
- EBSCO databases manuals. Detailed user guides/manuals. Also available searching, browsing, print/email as MS Word files, but perhaps not most recent versions.
- EBSCO databases. Online help.
- Religious and Theological Abstracts.
- Index Theologicus. Very current!
- Perseus. Greco-Roman literature in Greek, Latin and English translation.
- TLG Online. Nearly exhaustive corpus of ancient Greek literature.
- Searchable Greek Inscriptions. All the Greek inscriptions formerly on the PHI cd-rom (but not the PHI papyri). NOT included in TLG.
- Communication Abstracts.
- Finding Online Journals (aka, the eJournal List). How to use this resource to determine if the journal you want is available online. You must already have a specific article citation; this tool does not let you search by subject.
- Google Search Operator. Brief summary. But remember ranking is the key to Google's effectiveness, not use of search opertors.
- Library Materials in Google Scholar. How to use Google Scholar to identify relevant books and identify which library near you owns the book
- BIBLOS (basics). Summary of search operators and the basics in extremely compressed and incomplete form. For the impatient.
- BIBLOS (detail). The Long Guide to BIBLOS. Also an approximate pdf version as of March 2007.
- BIBLOS assignments to help you develop search skills
- Browser search box. How to customize the search bar in Firefox 2 and Internet Explorer 7 to search BIBLOS anytime without logging in or going to the library website.