Database Manuals and Tutorials
For exercises and homework assignments designed to help you develop search skills, see assignments.
Connecting to Databases
WorldCat (replaces BIBLOS)
We have just begun to write material about dts.on.worldcat.
- Introduction to WorldCat. Searching, My List, Holds, Course Reserves.
- Your WorldCat Account. What you can do. How to login. Differences between DTS students, registered Community Users, and DTS grads.
- How to Create or Reset Your Password.
- How to Renew Your Loans.
- EBSCO YouTube micro-lessons. More than 50 brief videos on various EBSCO functions and features. Some sales/promotional material, too.
- Introduction to Using EBSCO. Formerly Bare Bones Basics of Searching EBSCO Databases.
- How to use EBSCO ebooks.
- ATLA/ATLAS tips. Assumes you already know how to use EBSCO databases.
- Using SmartText. An EBSCO natural language query processor.
- OTA/NTA tips. Old Testament Abstracts and New Testament Abstracts. Assumes you already know how to use EBSCO databases.
- L’Année philologique. Tips specific to APh. Assumes you already know how to use EBSCO databases.
- EBSCO databases manuals. Detailed user guides/manuals.
- Religious and Theological Abstracts.
- Index Theologicus. Very current!
- Index Religiosus. Theology and Church History
- Perseus. Greco-Roman literature in Greek, Latin and English translation.
- TLG Online new interface. Nearly exhaustive corpus of ancient Greek literature. (The TLG Online old interface is still available, too.)
- Loeb Online. Loeb classical library of Greek and Latin works with English translation.
- Searchable Greek Inscriptions. All the Greek inscriptions formerly on the PHI cd-rom (but not the PHI papyri). NOT included in TLG.
- Finding Online Journals (aka, the eJournal List). How to use this resource to determine if the journal you want is available online. You must already have a specific article citation; this tool does not let you search by subject.
- Google Search Operator. Brief summary. But remember ranking is the key to Google's effectiveness, not use of search opertors.