Database Manuals and Tutorials
For exercises and homework assignments designed to help you develop search skills, see assignments.
Connecting to Databases
- BIBLOS (basics). Summary of search operators and the basics in extremely compressed and incomplete form. For the impatient.
- BIBLOS (detail). The Long Guide to BIBLOS. Also an approximate pdf version as of March 2007.
- BIBLOS assignments to help you develop search skills
- Browser search box. How to customize the search bar in Firefox 2 and Internet Explorer 7 to search BIBLOS anytime without logging in or going to the library website.
- Bare Bones Basics of Searching EBSCO databases . Introduction. Overview.
- ATLA/ATLAS tips. Assumes you already know how to use EBSCO databases.
- Using SmartText. An EBSCO natural language query processor.
- Practice searching ATLA (displays questions in one frame, and allows live searches of ATLA in another frame; answers appear on demand).
- ATLA assignments to help you develop search skills
- OTA/NTA tips. Old Testament Abstracts and New Testament Abstracts. Assumes you already know how to use EBSCO databases.
- L’Année philologique. Tips specific to APh. Assumes you already know how to use EBSCO databases.
- EBSCO databases manuals. Detailed user guides/manuals. Also available searching, browsing, print/email as MS Word files, but perhaps not most recent versions.
- EBSCO databases. Online help.
- PsycINFO tips (Not yet available)
OCLC FirstSearch databases
- FirstSearch databases. How to use OCLC FirstSearch databases, illustrated with WorldCat examples
- Warning: very soon the FS interface described here will disappear, to be replaced by something similar to worldcat.org (not the same as the old worldcat).
- Religious and Theological Abstracts.
- Index Theologicus. Very current!
- Elenchus of ETL . Elenchus of Ephemerides Theologicae Lovanienses. Theology in general.
- Perseus. Greco-Roman literature in Greek, Latin and English translation.
- TLG Online. Nearly exhaustive corpus of ancient Greek literature.
- Searchable Greek Inscriptions. All the Greek inscriptions formerly on the PHI cd-rom (but not the PHI papyri). NOT included in TLG.
- Communication Abstracts.
- eJournal List. How to use this resource to determine if the article you want is available online. You must already have a specific article citation; this tool does not let you search by subject.
- Google Search Operator. Brief summary. But remember ranking is the key to Google's effectiveness, not use of search opertors.
- Library Materials in Google Scholar. How to use Google Scholar to identify relevant books and identify which library near you owns the book