The Long Guide to Using BIBLOS
The Long Guide documents how to use BIBLOS, the DTS library catalog. It focuses on how to search/browse, but also covers other functions like placing holds and renewing books. The Guide is outlined below. Too busy to read the Long Guide? Try the Short Guide to Searching.
- Introductory Overview
- What's in BIBLOS?
- Connection, Login, and Browser Configuration
- Main Menu Options
- Record Structure
- Query Categories (author, title, subject, etc.)
- Searching, Navigating, and Displaying Results
- Try It Yourself Exercise: Simple Search and System Navigation
- Basic Search
- Case, character masking, and truncation
- Logical operators: and, or, not
- Grouping with Parentheses
- Try It Yourself Exercise: Logical Operators
- Proximity operators:same, near, adj
- More about Grouping and Operator Precedence
- Field Qualification
- Try It Yourself Exercise: Proximity Operators
- Power Search
- Using multiple categories
- Search Limits and Options
Limiting or qualifying a search by Publication year, Language, Item types, and Academic department. Using the Match On option. Using the Sort By option.
- Try It Yourself Exercise: Power Search
- Hyperlinks and Cross References
- Hyperlinked Fields
- Cross References
- Try It Yourself Exercise: Cross References
- A Sample Browse
- Word Order in Fields and Subfields
- Technical Note on Subfield Rotation in Subject Fields
- When to Browse
- Try It Yourself Exercise: Browsing
- Special Retrieval Problems
- Searching for Bible Passages
- Searching for a Specific Item
- Recovering from "Item not found"
- Recovering from "Partial matches too many terms"
- Diacritical Marks, Special Characters and Punctuation
- Avoiding Overuse of the "Everything" Category
- Picking Good Terms and Going Beyond LCSH
- Printing/Emailing/Exporting Records
Also includes and and Exporting to Z39.50 clients like EndNote
- Requesting a hold
- Using "My Account"
- Viewing borrowed items, holds, bills
- Renewing borrowed items
- Changing your PIN
- Concerning confidentiality
- Try It Yourself Exercise: Self-Services (Holds, Renewals, etc.)
- Course Reserves
- Searching by author, title, or subject of work
- Searching by course or instructor
- Try It Yourself Exercise: Reserves
- Appendix: Summary of search operators.
The basics in extremely compressed and incomplete form. For the impatient.
Some exercises to help you develop search skills, including some homework required for RS101.
- Also an approximate pdf version of the Long Guide.