Electronic Bible Study Tools
Bible Study Online
We let our evaluation of online Bible Study software get out of date and we have not had time to update the notes. However, the following list of free bible study tools may be of use. Often the best bible study tools are only available for purchase/subscription. And every pastor should own a substantial personal library. But these free resources helpful to almost anyone in church ministry. Items toward the end of the list are a bit more academic.
- Bible.org provides access to the full-text of many bible study helps and expositional works from an evangelical viewpoint. This is also the home of the NET Bible translation, which is linked to Greek and Hebrew texts.
- BibleStudyTools.com. Search and display about 30 English translations of the Bible, including NIV, ESV, LEB, HCS, and NAS. NAS and KJ are linked to some basic lexical and morphological information. Search English, display Hebrew (BHS) or Greek (NA 26) in a semi-interlinear format. Search ISBE (1939 ed.) and Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology.
- BibleGateway. Search and display translations of the Bible in many languages. SBLGNT, some IVP commentaries. Other.
- Scripture4All. Interlinear Greek and Hebrew Bible with KJV. Includes parts of speech. Download free ISA Bible software to work with the text.
- Biblical Studies.org.uk. Find theology books, bibliographies for seminary students and pastors, over 10,000 articles, and a collection of theological websites.
- Perseus Digital Library. Search and display full-text of ancient Greek and Latin primary source documents. Links to lexicons and sometimes to English translations. Also search in English. Extremely useful site for NT studies. Go to Greek and Roman Materials under Collections/Texts and scroll to New Testament. Type in the lexical form of a word (with accents) to search for all forms. Click a word in the text to go to LSJ. See our one page intro to Perseus.
- New Testament Gateway provides annotated links to mostly scholarly materials about the NT, Greek language, hermeneutics, textual criticism, Judaica, Patristics, and modern culture. Organized by book of the Bible, topic, and tool. Includes grammars, lexica, Judaica, Bible translations, and much more.See also Torrey Seland's resources pages for biblical studies which is especially strong in NT backgrounds, customs and manners.
- iTanakh.com lists many useful Internet resources for the academic study and teaching of the Hebrew Bible, Pseudepigrapha, Targums, and Ugaritic texts. It includes links to full-text articles, book reviews, and a few online primary sources. Covers biblical and related texts, languages, methods, geographic areas, and other topics. Alas, not annotated.
- Old Testament Gateway. Links to internet sites, articles, and other resources. Covers OT, archaeology, commentaries, DSS, apocrypha, etc. Links to Hebrew Bible.Click a book of the Bible to see the outline, argument, and notes. Includes Constable's notes, old commentaries, Bible and theology dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other study helps.